AAA Hudson Valley provides a six-hour New York State DMV-approved Point & Insurance Reduction Program at our Albany office. Participants will receive a certificate for insurance reduction at the completion of the class.
AAA Hudson Valley is now requiring all students and Instructors to wear masks during the class and in common areas of the building.
Classroom Course Schedule
Saturday and Sunday classes are one-day, complete 6-hour courses. The evening classes consist of two 3-hour sessions held on two evenings. You must attend both evening classes to complete the course.
Monday & Wednesday, November 15 & 17, 2021: 6:00pm-9:00pm - FULL Saturday, November 20, 2021: 9:00am-3:30pm - FULL
Saturday, December 04, 2021: 9:00am-3:30pm - FULL
Tuesdays, December 07 & 14, 2021: 6:00pm-9:00pm
Saturday, December 18, 2021: 9:00am-3:30pm - FULL
Saturday, January 08, 2022: 9:00am-3:30pm
Tuesdays, January 11 & 18, 2022: 6:00pm-9:00pm
Saturday, January 22, 2022: 9:00am-3:30pm
Sunday, January 30, 2022: 9:00am-3:30pm
Wednesdays, February 09 & 16, 2022: 6:00pm-9:00pm
Saturday, February 12, 2022: 9:00am-3:30pm
Saturday, February 19, 2022: 9:00am-3:30pm
Saturday, February 26, 2022: 9:00am-3:30pm
All classes are held at our main office: 618 Delaware Ave., Albany, NY 12209.
Traffic Safety Class cancellations are announced on your local news channels. If you are concerned about driving in the snow, err on the side of caution and safety. We can reschedule you or provide you with a refund.
You can take AAA's new and improved NYS DMV Approved Internet Point & Insurance Reduction Program (IPIRP) at home-see details at the bottom of this page.
What are the benefits of taking a Defensive Driving/Accident Prevention course?
According to the NYS DMV, completing an approved course will
- refresh your driving knowledge
- help to prevent you from losing your license in the event you accrued 11 or more points on your driving record
- 4 points are 'subtracted' for the purposes of calculating a suspension if you have 11 or more points
- the tickets/points do not physically come off your driving record
- learn about the New York State point system
- reduce the base rate of your auto and motorcycle insurance premiums 10% each year for three years
Completing a course does not:
- prevent a mandatory suspension or revocation
- eliminate your responsibility to pay a driver responsibility assessment
- give you a way to reduce future driver violation points
Fees & Group Discounts
AAA Members and AAA Plus Members: $35.00
AAA Members – Seniors 60+: $30.00
AAA Premier Members (silver card): $30.00
AAA Premier Members – Seniors 60+: $25.00
Non-member Seniors 60+: $40.00
Offices and social groups can have the Driver Improvement Group come to you! Discounts are available for groups of 20-40 people. AAA instructors can host the program at your location. Call 518-426-1000 ext. 8846 for more information on group discounts.
You can take AAA's new and improved NYS DMV Approved Internet Point & Insurance Reduction Program (IPIRP) at home.
- This class will take at least 6 hours to complete.
- This program requires voice recognition. You must record your voice and will get prompts throughout the course to call an 800# and repeat the phrases on the screen.
- You have 30 days from the time you register to complete the class.
- This class is AAA Defensive Driving material and the software is operated by the American Safety Council. If you need help with the online class or a duplicate certificate, please call the American Safety Council at: 877.476.1254.
- The cost of the class is $29.95 for members and $34.95 for nonmembers.